These were the women who left for war looking for adventure and romance but were soon confronted with challenges for which their civilian lives could never have prepared them.
Their strength and dignity were remarkable. Using diaries and letters, Peter Rees takes us into the hospital camps and the wards and the tent surgeries on the edge of some of the most horrific battlefronts of human history. But he also allows the friendships and loves of these courageous and compassionate women to enrich their experiences, and ours.
- A Social History of English Rugby Union!
- The Phantom Respondents: Opinion Surveys and Political Representation!
- Other Anzacs, The: Nurses at War - PDF Free Download.
Profoundly moving, The Other Anzacs is a story of extraordinary courage and humanity shown by a group of women whose contribution to the Anzac legend has barely been recognised in our history. Excellent account of how Australian and New Zealand nurses faced the overwhleming ordeal of caring for wounded soldiers in world war I. The Other Anzacs : Nurses at War Peter Rees.
It was one of the orderly's legs which had been blown off and had landed on the patient's bed. The next day they found the trunk about 20 yards away. These were women who left for war on an adventure, but were soon confronted with remarkable challenges for which their civilian lives could never have prepared them.
They were there for the horrors of Gallipoli and they were there for the savagery the Western Front. Within 12 hours of the slaughter at Anzac Cove they had more than horrifically injured patients to tend on one crammed hospital ship, and scores of deaths on each of the harrowing days that followed. Every night was a nightmare.
- Nurses - Australians in World War 1 - Research Guides at State Library of Victoria?
- Background reading;
- Real-Resumes for Students (Real-Resumes Series).
- History guide!
- The Archaeology of Identity: Approaches to Gender, Age, Statues, Ethnicity and Religion;
- I Told Me So!
- American Empire and the Political Economy of Global Finance (International Political Economy);
Their strength and humanity were remarkable. Using diaries and letters, Peter Rees takes us into the hospital camps, wards, and tent surgeries on the edge of some of the most horrific battlefronts of human history.